The Black Sash and #PayTheGrants will host a virtual press conference concerning the impending termination of the Covid-19 Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grant on 30 April 2021.
We will be joined by representatives from faith-based organisations, trade unions and civic groups to address this urgent matter.
Date: Thursday, 29 April 2021
Time: 11h00 to 12h30
Zoom Registration Details:
Facebook Live Stream:
- Extend the Covid-19 SRD grant until it is turned into a Basic Income Guarantee (BIG)
- Increase the Covid-19 SRD grant to the Food Poverty Line (currently *R585)
- Expand the Covid-19 SRD to unemployed adults receiving the Child Support Grant on behalf of children
- Reassess the harshly narrow criteria for accessing the SRD grant, and improve its administration
- Urgently implement the long overdue BIG, for those aged 18 to 59 years with no too little income, to at least the Upper-Bound Poverty Line (currently *R 1 268)
As part of this campaign, Amandla.mobi has launched a petition calling for the extension and increase of the Covid-19 SRD grant. We encourage all to sign and share this petition in support of the millions of people who stand to lose this grant if it is terminated.
*Both R585 and R1 268 are insufficient, but this must be the bare minimum.
FOR FURTHER COMMENTS AND MEDIA INQUIRIES
Black Sash: email@example.com m